Saturday, February 16, 2013

SC Senators Vote Against VAWA Reauthorization

Both of South Carolina's esteemed senators voted against the reauthorization of the Violence Against Women Act on Tuesday.  What were they thinking?  I decided to find out.

Here's the letter I am sending by snail mail to each of them. Feel free to use it, or any part of it, in a letter of your own.

We'll see what kind of response I get.  I'm not hopeful for much more than the standard "I'm busily fighting the War on Terror" from Senator Graham. Who knows what Senator Scott will come up with.  I suspect something like the "Tea Party made me do it."

_____________

The Honorable Lindsey Graham
290 Russell Senate Office Building
Washington, DC 20501

or 

The Honorable Tim Scott
167 Hart Senate Office Building
Washington, DC 20510

Dear Senator _____,

I would be interested in learning why you decided to vote against the reauthorization of the Violence Against Women Act this past week.

This Act, among other things, provides funding for the S.T.O.P. Violence Against Women program in South Carolina. This progran prosecutes domestic violence and sexual assault cases and trains law enforcement, judges, prosecutors and victim advocates throughout the state about the causes, effects and laws pertaining to those crimes.  (http://www.scag.gov/criminal-domestic-violence-in-south-carolina/s-t-o-p-violence-against-women-program)

The VAWA Act and its funds are especially needed in South Carolina. This state, which you were (elected or appointed) to represent, was rated number two in the country in 2010 for the number of  women murdered by men. (Violence Policy Center Report 2012).

So, again, I would be interested in learning why you decided to vote against this important bill.

I look forward to hearing from you,

 Regards,

 
Penny Travis, PhD
 

No comments:

Post a Comment